A Beginner’s Guide to Hiking in Mammoth Lakes
Jul 14, 2021
With so many beautiful trails for hiking near Mammoth Lakes and the Eastern Sierra, it can be hard to figure out where to start. Here are some helpful tips from Danna Stroud, President of Mammoth Lakes Recreation, about the best trails for first time visitors and beginning hikers, as well as what you’ll need to pack.
Top Trails for Beginners
Paved Trails in Mammoth Lakes
Check out some of the gorgeous, paved trails in Mammoth Lakes, including the Lakes Basin Path, Hot Creek Trail and Shady Rest Path. These easy hikes allow you to acclimatize to the environment and altitude while providing panoramic mountain views.
Convict Lake Loop
What to Pack
- Bring plenty of water with you.
- Pack extra layers; the weather can change quickly in the mountains.
- Make sure to apply sunscreen and bring extra for reapplication throughout the day. It’s easier to get sunburned at high altitude.
- Hikers going downhill should yield to hikers going uphill. They’re on a roll, so let them keep going.
- Help keep the trails clean and not leave any debris. The trails in Mammoth Lakes are clean thanks to hikers like you.