What You Need to Know about Cannabis Use in Mammoth Lakes
Recreational cannabis use has been legal in the state of California since 2018, when the Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act was passed. If you’re planning a trip from out of state, or curious about specific policies in Mammoth Lakes, then read on for a quick recap of California’s rules and regulations around legal cannabis use, as well as where to purchase cannabis legally in Mammoth Lakes.
The Legalities around Cannabis Use in California
Legal Cannabis Use
- You must be 21+ to buy or posses recreational cannabis. This includes smoking, vaping and eating cannabis-infused products.
- You must be 18+ with a valid medical card to buy or posses cannabis or cannabis products for medical use.
- You may possess 28.5 grams of cannabis plant material (about an ounce) and 8 grams of concentrated cannabis (separated resin, whether crude or purified, obtained from cannabis.
- You can consume cannabis on private property, but property owners and landlords may ban the use and possession of cannabis on their properties.
- Only state licensed establishments may sell retail cannabis products.
Illegal Cannabis Use
- It is illegal to give or sell retail cannabis to minors.
- It is illegal to drive under the influence of cannabis, or have an open container of cannabis in the vehicle. If it’s not in an approved, sealed container, it must be kept in the truck.
- It is illegal to consume, smoke, eat or vape cannabis in public. It is also illegal to open a package containing cannabis or any cannabis products in public. This includes but is not limited to parks and sidewalks, business and residential areas.
- It is illegal to consume cannabis in other locations where cigarette smoking is illegal, including bars, restaurants, buildings open to the public, places of employment and areas within 15 feet of doors and ventilation openings.
- You cannot use cannabis within 1,000 feet of a school, day care center, or youth center while children are present.
- Even though it is legal under California law, you cannot consume or possess cannabis on federal lands such as national parks, even if the park is in California. Among the areas that are federal lands around Mammoth Lakes are Yosemite National Park, Death Valley National Park, Devils Postpile National Monument, Bodie State Historical Park, and all US Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management land.
- It is illegal to take your cannabis across state lines, even if you are traveling to another state where cannabis is legal.
If you’re looking for more information about California’s cannabis laws, check out the state’s official California Cannabis Portal or the California Department of Public Health’s “Let’s Talk Cannabis” site.
Cannabis Businesses in Mammoth Lakes
Since the passing of the 2018 recreational use law, several cannabis dispensaries have popped up in Mammoth Lakes that sell everything from pre-rolls and vape cartridges to lollipops and bath bombs. Each location offers a knowledgable staff to help you find exactly what you’re looking for, or introduce you to new products.
In business since January 2019, Ascent offers a wide selection of premium quality cannabis products that you can shop for in person or order online and have them delivered to you locally. Cannabis consultants at Ascent understand the needs of the mountain cannabis consumer and can introduce you to the best products for high altitudes.
Established in 2010 solely as a medical dispensary, Green Mammoth was Mammoth Lakes’ original cannabis dispensary, as well as the first in the entire Eastern Sierra. With daily deals and weekly specials, Green Mammoth has a little something for everyone. Drop in or order online for local delivery to shop cannabis and CBD products including the finest variety of concentrates, edibles and vape cartridges.
The newest to open up shop in Mammoth Lakes in November 2020, Mammoth Holistics is the proud sister store of the very first recreational retail license awarded by the state of California, Torrey Holistics in San Diego. Mammoth Holistics has a deep-rooted commitment to providing the community with superior customer service, science-backed education, and sustainably-sourced cannabis products.
In addition to getting a CBD Medicinal massage at Smoketree Massage and Apothecary that incorporates a variety of CBD products such as salves, sprays, liniments (for anti-anxiety, pain relief and relaxation), you can also purchase these CBD products among a slew of other natural hand-blended remedies. All its CBD products are from the best sources and certified companies.
Another location you can land a massage and purchase some CBD spa products is at Simply Massage & Body Boutique in The Village at Mammoth Lakes. Choose from its own brand of relaxing Lavender CBD Cream or CBD Salve that include a myriad of other natural ingredients, and are made here in Mammoth Lakes.